Seemingly every week the media bombards us with a new atrocity to lament, the furor Du Jour. Our leaders wring their hands or rail against this group or that one, while commercial media and social media both throw gasoline on and fan the flames of hatred and divisiveness.
Our great melting pot societal experiment has reduced itself to cliques and enclaves of like minded individuals pointing fingers at everybody else. We are addicted to the high that comes from a mob mentality of societal righteousness and the numbing of the soul that comes from hatred of others.
We need a new Great Awakening, a Cultural Shift, a Societal Healing.
There is a program that has helped millions of people overcome addictions. We must apply it to our culture. Soon.
12 Steps to Societal Wholeness
– We admitted we were powerless over our society–that our culture had become unmanageable.
– Came to believe that only God could restore our society to sanity.
– Made a decision to turn our society and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
– Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves and our culture.
– Admitted to God, to ourselves and to other human beings the exact nature of our wrongs.
– Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
– Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
– Made a list of persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
– Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
– Continued to take personal and societal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
– Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
– Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to others and to practice these principles in all our affairs.