One of the most common phrases I’ve heard this past week is some variation of ‘what gives you (narrow-minded, bigoted, hateful) Christians the right to tell anybody how to live?’ And they’re right. I have no authority, of myself, to tell anybody else anything.
IF, as most people assume, I am here by chance and there is no god, or only one of my own imagining; If religion is only a construct of culture and social engineering; if there is no absolute truth; then the only constraints on me are myself and whatever social and cultural constraints I choose to accept.
BUT, if there is an absolute truth, an absolute reality outside of any human construct; if there is a Being who created us, then that Being has the Right to direct me and correct me and constrain me.
- The Bible says God created everything, including me.
- The Bible says mankind rebelled against God.
- The Bible says God chose a particular tribe to bring His message of love and peace with Him to all mankind.
- The Bible says that He himself came to this world and lived as a man, to show us what a perfect man looks like, and to make a way for each of us to come back to Him.
- The Bible says He taught His followers how to live in such a way as to please Him.
- The Bible says that He was killed, was buried, and that He rose from the dead never to die again, went back to heaven, and is returning soon to settle all accounts and re-create this world perfect again.
- The Bible says it was written by men who actually talked with God, and were directed by Him to write it.
Our choice is extremely simple:
Either the Bible is our authority for understanding who God is and what He wants from us, or we have made ourselves our own authority.
God help us to choose wisely.