Performance Skill Standard:
Conditions of Performance:
- Given verbal or written instructions to connect to a specific trailer, given the trailer and the time for pick-up, …
Statement of Work to be performed:
- … The driver will demonstrate safe coupling of typical tractor-trailer units.
- Driver must couple tractor-trailer units within 8 to 10 minutes.
- Complete coupling in accord with safety requirements and approved practices.
- Complete coupling with secure connections, including air lines and electrical cables.
Performance Elements and Assessment Criteria:
- Check and adjust mirrors.
- Align tractor and trailer units and back to position where Fifth Wheel Plate just touches apron of trailer. Get out and check height of fifth wheel.
- Secure trailer against movement (using wheel chocks if available) and recheck trailer height.
- Connect and check air lines.
- Connect and check electrical cable.
- Back tractor slowly and straight into trailer kingpin at right level and with appropriate force.
- Check coupling and pin engagement.
- Check connection for security by pulling tractor forward If it is okay release brake, if not, secure connection.
- Check for symptoms of improper/incomplete connections and make necessary adjustments.
- Set in-cab air brake controls, retract and secure landing gear, adjust mirrors, and remove chocks (if used).
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: