Performance skill standard:
Conditions of Performance:
- Given a typical tractor trailer and a driving situation…
Statement of Work to be performed:
- …The driver will conduct a visual search of the road for potential hazards and critical objects.
- Driver will demonstrate adequate visual search technique by pointing out important obstacles in various types of traffic, as scored on the performance test, using the “commentary driving” technique.
- Driver will demonstrate appropriate visual behavior by time (frequency) and locations checked.
Performance Elements and Assessment Criteria:
- Correctly adjust any type of rear view mirror to appropriate specifications.
- Maintain a minimum 12-15 second eye lead-time.
- Scan both sides of the road using quick glances to observe roadside activity and vehicles near you.
- Check mirrors for hazards every few seconds, and always before changing speed or direction.
- Check instrument panel frequently.
- Look ahead as far as possible during turns and on curves.
- Check to the side before turning or changing lanes.
- Monitor overtaking traffic in order to be aware of vehicles behind and in blind spots.
- Avoid diverting attention from the path ahead.
- Maintain a straight-line path whenever necessary to divert attention/eyes from the path ahead.
- Check all intersections and crossings using proper technique.
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: