Performance Skill Standard:
Conditions of Performance:
- Given a tractor-trailer truck, a trip, and a route with varying conditions…
Statement of Work to be performed:
- …The driver will read/identify conditions, adjust speed, and manage speed effectively in response to various road, weather, and traffic conditions.
- Adjust speed correctly to the configuration and condition of the roadway; weather and visibility conditions; traffic conditions; and vehicle, cargo, and driver conditions.
- Maintain ramp speed 10 mph below posted speed, under ideal conditions.
- Obey the legal speed limit.
- Drive at speeds appropriate to road condition and necessary stopping distances.
Performance Elements and Assessment Criteria:
- Judge maximum safe speed at which a curve and on/off ramps can be entered and adjust speed to under maximum.
- Obey speed limit.
- Maintain proper speed to manage the space around the truck from other vehicles.
- Judge maximum safe speed that traction will permit and adjust speed accordingly.
- Recognize and interpret all types of driving conditions and road surfaces.
- Judge and adjust maximum safe speed at which vehicle control can be maintained under traffic conditions, crosswinds, road conditions, weather conditions, and limited visibility.