Performance Skill Standard:
Conditions of Performance:
- Given a typical tractor-trailer rig, a trip, and a basic tool kit.
Statement of Work to be performed:
- …The driver will check each system function, correctly note indications of problems for various systems, and fix those within his jurisdiction. Systems to check include engine, steering, cooling, electrical, tires, fuel, air intake and exhaust systems, brakes, drive train, coupling systems, and suspension.
- Explain proper range of function for all key vehicle systems.
- Check each component and vehicle system.
- Correctly note symptoms of problems.
- Correct problems within jurisdiction.
Performance elements and Assessment Criteria:
- Check and service engine, fuel, oil, coolant, battery, and filters.
- Perform simple emergency repairs to enable a vehicle to reach a maintenance facility.
- Check tire air pressure.
- Check for proper tire and wheel mounting. Report problem.
- Drain moisture from air brake supply reservoirs and fuel system.
- Check brakes. Report problems or adjust according to regulation, certification, and company policy.
- Clean and repair light bulbs and lenses.
- Change fuses and reset circuit breakers.