Performance Skill Standard:
Conditions of Performance:
- Given a typical tractor-trailer rig, a trip, and any of a number of potential problems…
Statement of Work to be performed:
- …The driver will recognize the potential dangers in the driving environment and take appropriate action(s) before the dangers develop into emergency situations, or respond appropriately to an emergency.
- Identify road conditions and other road users that are a potential threat to the safety of the tractor-trailer.
- Suggest appropriate adjustments, as indicated by passing a written test on the topic or demonstrating skill.
- Explain causes of and techniques to avoid skid and jackknife.
- Explain how to deal with skid.
- Demonstrate through proper speed and space management and proper acceleration and braking techniques he/she should be able to avoid a skid.
Performance Elements and Assessment Criteria:
- Perceive immediately a potential threat from visible characteristics and actions of other road users, road conditions, and the environment.
- Match and initiate prompt defensive or evasive action.
- Use proper evasive steering techniques.
- Practice good visual search techniques.
- Identify and explain situations where skids and jackknifes are likely.
- Use brakes in a manner that will stop the vehicle in the shortest possible distance while maintaining directional control.
- Over-steer and counter-steer out of a skid in a way that will regain directional control and not produce another skid.
- Operate brakes properly to provide maximum braking without loss of control.
- Judge maximum safe speed for slippery surface conditions.
- Deal with blowout with proper steering and stopping.