- Peer / Peer
- Tenant / Guest
- Student / Trainer
My job as a trainer is to provide you with all the information you will need to be able to operate a truck in a professional manner. I am also expected to monitor your progress and report to the safety department if you are not progressing satisfactorily. This does not make me your boss, just a more experienced driver.
Your job as a student is to put your best effort into learning. You are the person responsible for your learning experience. I cannot and will not care more about your training than you do.
- Respected & Valued
- Humble & Teachable
- Safe & Productive
Use active (drive through) listening:
- Listen carefully to what is said.
- Restate what you understood was said.
- Speaker will restate what he meant.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 until both agree on what was meant.
Understand how different personality types can lead to misunderstandings.
- Communicate the problem to the other person; often he is not even aware of a problem.
- Suggest possible alternatives.
- Seek solutions where both can win.